I am not winning any golden awards for best mommy tonight. Let’s just say that I am lucky to be just scraping by with my parenting pride intact this evening.
Phew. What a night.
Here are 10 reasons why I’m sitting here this evening feeling like a true warrior-mama.
Drum roll, pleeeease…
10. I sent my daughter to her room for one hour for having at least three noticeable meltdowns while practicing her piano tonight. Meanwhile, I went for a walk.
9. I made asparagus, carrots, parsnips and potatoes for supper in spite of my children’s calls for Greco and frozen yogurt.
8. I remembered at 3:58 that my daughter needed a ride home from piano at 4:00. Just in time to catch Husband pulling into our own lane. Just in the nick of time to save myself from feeling like the worst mommy ever…
7. I hid daughter’s ceramic kitten that Grammie gave her this weekend while Daughter was up to her eyeballs in tub bubbles. She will not notice until tomorrow, buying me a few hours of peace and bliss.
6. I tucked Daughter’s Three wishes writing sheet neatly into the recycle bin after I read her second greatest wish in all the world is to have a baby sister.
5. I made my children bathe tonight.
4. I sat while my child painstakingly read me her guided readers tonight and I only called it quits halfway through the second book.
3. I prevented tooth decay in all four of my children’s mouths by eating almost a whole bag of chocolate covered pretzels myself.
2. I bought my children electric toothbrushes so that I can now rest assured that technology will be to blame for any plaque build-up.
1. I said prayers with youngest and inserted a wish/reminder for peace and harmony to indwell our family, thus achieving two ends with one purpose. Prayers with pointed reminders.
And that is a wee little look in the window of the Gard household for you this evening. Just another day in paradise…
Good strategy. Sounds like good mothering to me.
Some nights are like that. My husband is in high level hostage negotiations with my daughter as I write this. When I am on the verge of crazy a walk and chocolate pretzels seem like just the thing to find balance! Thank you for sharing your struggles so honestly. It is nice to know that other families are living the dream too!